Hrithik takes 10-15 days to dub, I take only seven, says Katrina

    Four of her films in the last two years have been hits. When she came into the film industry, her accent was frowned upon. Her turbulent relationship with Salman Khan has occupied a lot of news space. So has her link-up with co-star Akshay Kumar. She doesn't have friends in the industry because she is perceived to be snooty. Katrina Kaif takes on all these charges, and answers them without batting an eyelid, metaphorically speaking.

    You are now one of the much talked about actresses.
    (Laughs) A lot has happened for me so quickly in the last one year, I think people are at a loss of words to describe me. But I have really enjoyed my time. None of my films got stuck for a long time.

    Has that made you snooty?
    I am extremely shy and reserved and it's may be mistaken for being difficult and hostile. Tell me, why would people put up with someone difficult? Those who know me won't say that. Also, for everything you achieve, there will be some people who will pull you down. Maybe they feel I have more than I deserve. But I have worked really hard in the last two years to get where I am today.

    Having someone like Salman Khan back you must have helped.
    I don't think that's a correct thing to say. Salman is a great friend; Sohail and Sohail Khan productions have been a very important part of my life. They helped me a lot. We have done some wonderful films together like Maine Pyar Kyon Kiya and Partner. And they are people I've turned to and taken advice if I have been in any confusion. But beyond that, I feel people need to respect the work one has done. Otherwise it gets discouraging.

    Does that mean you take your own decisions?
    I have taken my decisions since I was 16. You have to listen to people's advice but at the end of the day, you are responsible for your own decisions.

    And you struggled to break the London-girl tag.
    Yes. My progression was slow. I came in with a lot of criticism and wariness around me. Slowly people started accepting me.

    And you have an accent.
    I never said I don't. English is my first language. But I have started dubbing my own films. I have heard Hrithik Roshan takes 10 to 15 days to dub a film. I take seven days. But that's okay. It means hard work because I have to correct a lot of things. But I am happy to put in that hard work.

    So how hard was it to learn the correct Hindi diction?
    My diction teacher never wanted me to learn diction. He wanted me to read the Hindi script first. Some people told me I didn't need to. But he insisted on it. Now I feel that's the best thing he could have done.

    How so?
    Many a time on the sets, you are given your dialogue 10 minutes before the shot. Ninety per cent of the time it's written in Hindi. You need someone to read it for you. I was lucky that my teacher pushed me to read Hindi. Now that I don't need an assistant, I feel more confident.

    Tell me about Singh is Kinng?
    Singh is Kinng came about when Vipul Shah was completing Namastey London. Vipul told me he is getting into film production with Singh is Kinng. I asked who is the director was and he said Anees (Bazmee) and I said I would do it. I had worked with Anees in Welcome. I didn't even want to get into the script. And Vipul had given me a wonderful film like Namastey London. So I was game.

    Without seeing the script?
    Ya, I mean Vipul gave me the protagonist role in Namastey London and he didn't question me at that point of time. I didn't think for Singh is Kinng I needed to get into such kinds of detail.

    Do you think friendship helps in the industry?
    See, nobody is going to put Rs 50 or 60-crore risk because I like you or you like me. It can't happen. I think I can speak for most of my directors and I don't think they have that kind of money to gamble with. You have to take what suits the project.

    What about talks about your link-up with Akshay Kumar?
    It doesn't bother me the slightest. This industry has given me so much. It's given me a home. It has given me the ability to secure my future, secure my family. What more can you ask for? So gossip is a small thing. Yeah, it hurts some times. I feel why do I bother working at all if people just take away all that I have worked for and hand it over flippantly to someone else? That's not fair.

    So you get upset?
    Ya, I do. There have been countless people with connections but things haven't worked for them. So you have to give that person recognition for having worked hard and succeeding. I am sure my producers and directors will speak for me on that.

    But that picture of you and Akshay at the cricket match...
    (Interrupting) Arre, tell me something, you are at a cricket match… kamse kam there will be at least 10,000 people there.

    More than that.
    Ya, maybe 50,000. I think I am a fairly intelligent person and Akshay Kumar, who is around 43, is definitely an intelligent person. Are we really going to behave like that? Was it a joke? It was ridiculous. There were at least a 100 people standing around in that box and I stood up and the photographers were way down there. They were like specks. They have zoom lens and actually a thought did cross my mind because I know about photography… that with zoom lens you get very distorted angles. Come on, nobody is going to stand like that in an inappropriate manner. This is a good example of people being misrepresented.

    The photo was there for everyone to see.
    But that was a distorted angle. And if I stand in front of you and lean over to point at something what's the meaning of that? I have worked with Akshay for 350 days between four films. He is a senior person and I have the utmost respect for him. I didn't know how to stand in front of the camera when I did my first film with him.

    Every film shoot I have done with him, his wife and child have been there. If you have seen Twinkle, she is a stunningly beautiful person. She makes us look like we don't take care of ourselves properly because she is so well groomed and dressed. And come on ya, people need to give it a rest.

    But he is very attractive.
    I don't buy that. That's not a reason for anything. I enjoy Twinkle's company more because I am the person who doesn't have the ability to really be outgoing and talk with anybody. And Twinkle is a forthcoming person and she will entertain you and say things like it is. She'll say, 'I like what you are wearing' or 'What were you doing in that shawl'. She is straightforward and honest and I think that's a wonderful quality. I think having a person like that has made a world of a difference for Akshay.

    Okay. You, too, look great in Western wear.
    Thanks, but I am really excited about Singh is Kinng for a song in which I have worn a sari. Manish Malhotra did the saris for me. I told him to do whatever he wanted to do, just speak to Aneesji about the colour. I love it and I am so excited about the song.

    So you are not taking credit for your styling?
    Err… well, yes. I would want to take some. To be honest, Rocky S has done all my dresses except Race. Rocky is confident enough to allow me to have a say. I am an actress. I am not a mannequin to just wear any clothes and take pictures. Rocky and I shop for a day or two to get the basic look. Then I let him decide on the bigger picture. Ya, I do take a huge interest in my clothes because, I guess, coming from a fashion city like London, you tend to get that knack.

    Any plans of going back home soon?
    Oh ya, a family reunion. Only, it's in December. I am going to London for 10 days in the week of Christmas. I am meeting my entire family there - for the first time in five years. All seven sisters and one brother are going to be together. I am really looking forward to it. I hope nothing comes up at that time.

    That sounds exciting.
    It's amazing. I tend not to be friends with many girls because I have six sisters. (Laughs) And with each of them I have a different equation. I don't trust a woman outside my family because we are so close-knit. My only regret is that we all can't live together.

    You sister Isabel is still in town?
    Ya, she is going with me to New York in August for my Yash Raj film schedule.

    Apparently she has plans to join films?
    No... no...she is studying now. But one never knows. (Laughs)
    Source URL: http://trendgrafitiinternasional.blogspot.com/2008/07/hrithik-takes-10-15-days-to-dub-i-take.html
    Visit Trend Grafity for daily updated images of art collection